GENERAL MUSIC PERIODS 2, 3, 6:
COMPOSER: Chopin Impromptu in C# Minor Opus 66
Played by Valdimir Ashkenazy
1. We discussed the meaning of the words "impromptu" and "improvisation" in relation to Chopin's music.
OBJECTIVE: Intro to Percussion (Periods 2,3,6):
1. Quote by Richard Wagner
.....a. Famous German opera composer
.....b. He wrote the famous "Bridal March" from his opera entitled Lohengrin
2. Solfege Roll:
....a. Teacher asks with hand signals: Sol-Mi-Sol-Sol-Mi ("Mar-y are you here?")
....b. Student answers with hand signals: Sol-Mi-Sol-Mi ("Yes I am").
3. My Google Blog: How to find class information/Location of my notes on yesterday's film about percussion instruments.
4. Review names of percussion instruments taught in class:
slapstick, tambourine, cabasa, jingle bells, hand drum, guiro, triangle, finger cymbals, spoons, castanets, bell tree,
claves, woodblock, sand blocks, cowbell, ratchet, maracas, and vibra tone (wah-wah)
4. If time, try out instruments while following conductor's silent cues (signals).
5. Do not forget to turn in signed rule sheets: worth 1 point
BEGINNING VIOLIN PERIOD 5:
OBJECTIVE: Violin Parts and Instrument Care
1. Review parts of violin
2. Worksheet passed out and filled in about the violin parts (1 point)
3. Overview of my Blog: How to find the violin information we are learning in class.
4. Pass out loan forms to be filled in and parent signed in order to take violins home for practicing
5. Violins passed out/ start to learn how to put on a shoulder rest.
ADVANCED VIOLIN PERIOD 4:
OBJECTIVE: Preparation for Harvest Day performance on October 28th/Hoedown music
2. Review Introduction to "Hoedown"
3. Each student to play section by themselves (4 points)
4. Review/practice Coda (last) section of the Hoedown for quiz next week.
5. Instruction on how to use my Blog to obtain music and help with fingerings.
6. Music directions given:
....a. Students will each be given a packet of holiday music for their personal use (not color copies) to which they will be able
to prepare on for note reading purposes.
....b. If the copies given them are lost or damaged students will be responsible for downloading extra copies (for their
personal use) on their own off my Blog.
....c. A set of colored, master copies will soon be prepared which will always remain in the class for those who need them.