COMPOSER: Chopin mazurka A minor opus 68-2
played by the famous Russian pianist/composer Sergei Rachmaninoff )
OBJECTIVE: Intro to Percussion
(Period 6 only):
1. Pink quote sheets passed out and students write names on them and prepare to copy quote from overhead projector. After copying quote and author's name students are to write what they think the quote means in the space provided. If unsure, there will be a short discussion and others in the class will give their ideas and the teacher will give hers
1. Quote: Students may write their own response or use one of the others discussed in class/first 5 minutes
a. Each quote worth 1 point. This week points earned will be for extra credit as we are new at doing them. Next week the points will count toward the grade.
b. Quotes will be posted on this BLOG so if any are missed they can be made-up
c. Author of the quote today: Paul Hindemith; a famous modern composer who also was known for playing a string instrument called a viola.
d. Discussion of term "Classical" and how it relates to the arts.
2. Solfege Roll: Teacher asks with hand signals: Sol-Mi-Sol-Sol-Mi ("Mar-y are you here?")/Student answers with hand signals: Sol-Mi-Sol-Mi ("Yes I am").
3. Percussion Instruments Demonstration: slapstick, tambourine, cabasa, jingle bells, hand drum, guiro, triangle, finger cymbals, spoons, castinets, bell tree, claves, woodblock, sandblocks, cowbell, ratchet, maracas, and vibra tone (wah-wah)
4. If time, try out instruments while following conductor's silent cues (signals)..To finish Friday.
5. Do not forget to turn in signed rule sheets: worth 1 point
BEGINNING VIOLIN PERIOD 5:
OBJECTIVE: Violin Parts and Instrument Care
1. Broken violin shown in class to show how easy it is to break one.
2. Violin parts explained and parts of the broken violin are passed around for each student to examine.
3. Violin parts reviewed.
ADVANCED VIOLIN PERIOD 4:
OBJECTIVE: Preparation for Harvest Day performance on October 28th/Hoedown music
2. Preparation for note reading assignment for tomorrow: Using song "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" fill in note names and draw in bar lines. Teacher demonstrates on a chart for the class.
3. Students review note reading rules: stepwise movement rules and line/space rules'
4. Harvest Festival piece: Hoedown
a. Review Introduction section and practice in class.
b. Teach the Ending (Coda) Section and practice.
4. Quiz on Introduction this Friday. Everyone to play by themselves from memory.