Wednesday, October 9, 2013

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 9, 2013

QUOTE: 
"The history of music, supported by the actual hearing of the master compositions of the different 
  epochs, is the shortest way to cure you of self-esteem and vanity.”
AUTHOR: Robert Schumann
MEANING OF THE QUOTE: 
“A person may think their art is great until they compare it with the greatest masters such as Beethoven and Mozart.”







COMPOSER
COPLAND

 Long Time Ago
from "Old American Songs"


Sung by Marilyn Horne


Long Time Ago Lyrics
Traditional

On the lake where droop'd the willow
Long time ago,
Where the rock threw back the billow
Brighter than snow. 
Dwelt a maid beloved and cherish'd
By high and low,
But with autumn leaf she perished
Long time ago.
Rock and tree and flowing water
Long time ago,
Bird and bee and blossom taught her 
Love's spell to know.
While to my fond words she listen'd
Murmuring low,
Tenderly her blue eyes glisten'd
Long time ago.

I Bought Me a Cat
The Cat - Bart Van Der Leck
The Cat - Bart Van Der Leck
from "Old American Songs"


I Bought Me a Cat Lyrics


VERSE 1
I bought me a wife, my wife pleased me
I feed my wife in yon green tree

VERSE 2
I bought me a baby, and my baby pleased me
I feed my baby in yon green tree

VERSE 3
I bought me a cow, my cow pleased me
I feed my cow in yon green tree

VERSE 4
I bought me a calf, my calf pleased me
I feed my calf in yon green tree

VERSE 5
I bought me a hog, my hog pleased me
I feed my hog in yon green tree

VERSE 6
I bought me a dog, my dog pleased me
I feed my dog in yon green tree

VERSE 7
I bought me a hen, my hen pleased me
I feed my hen in yon green tree

VERSE 8
I bought me a rooster an' my rooster pleased me
I feed my rooster in yon green tree

VERSE 9
My wife said, soke, soke
Cow said, moo, moo
The calf said, baaf, baaf
The baby said, waa, waa
The dog said, bow-wow, bow-wow
The hog said, grify-graf, grify-graf
The cat said, fiddle-li-fee
The hen said, shem-shak, shem-shack
The rooster said, quaw-shee
If you ever find another rooster like me
Feed your rooster too


http://maxhunter.missouristate.edu/songinformation.aspx?ID=286
GRANADA ADV. STRINGS
1.  THEORY
a.  Note reading on bass and treble clef

2.  C MAJOR SCALE
a.  Scale in 3 part rounds
3.  SILENT NIGHT

INTRO. TO INSTRUMENT
1.  VIOLIN
a.  Introduction to the Violin Family
b.  Short History
1)  Instrument Demonstrations

GRANADA BEG. STRINGS
1.  FINGERING
a.  Do-Re-Mi-Fa-Sol-Fa-Mi-Re-Do
b.  Played on each string UH bow
c.  Practice fingering patterns 1-4 and 2-4 
8x times on each string
2.  JINGLE BELLS MELODY
a.  Played by rote

HILLVIEW ORCHESTRA
1.  THEORY
a.  Note reading on bass and treble clef
2.  BELIEVE
a. First Half
3.  RUDOLPH