Wednesday, May 15, 2013

WEDNESDAY, MAY 15, 2013

QUOTE:
"You are the music while the music lasts."
AUTHOR: T. S. Eliot
MEANING OF THE QUOTE:
“While listening to music you can escape the realities of life and create your own
  universe.”








COMPOSER
JOPLIN
http://www.theardentepicure.com/2010_08_01_archive.html

Pineapple Rag Piano Roll


Written in 1908, The Pine Apple Rag will be familiar to any who have seen the movie The Sting. It is one of the best rags Joplin wrote in the midst of an extremely productive and creative period and was also one of the few Joplin rags turned into a song. It is based on folk themes that are cleverly handled in this context.

The Pineapple Rag is different from other rags since it is slightly slower than other rags and features a tropical accent throughout the composition.  Just like most other ragtime arrangements, the music is separated into four sections with the musical form notations ABAC. Using the A section as a demonstration of the power of syncopation,  removing the syncopation turns it into a simple march tune, while adding it back in creates a dramatic contrast. The B section is wonderfully bright and cheery in spite of a simple repeated pattern. It is in the C section that Joplin shows true foresight. The bass pattern predicts a style of Boogie piano which would become popular some fifteen years later, and he actually uses a flat seventh, a "blue" note, in the right hand. Whether it is intended to reflect what would ultimately become "the Blues" which would be everywhere within a few years, or just a stab at innovative composition, such as would be practiced by George Gershwin, is a matter of conjecture. The D section is equally innovative, with another variation of what would become an important boogie bass pattern, and a chord pattern that clearly signals the end of this exuberant piece. (http://www.perfessorbill.com/pbmidi15a.shtml)



Pine Apple Rag Song
Words by Joe Snyder, Music by Scott Joplin



Verse 1A: 
Hark to the music, it's the Pine Apple Rag, 
That tune is certainly divine.
Lordy, goodness how entrancing, Who on earth can keep from dancing?
Right here is where we shine.
Oh my, but isn't that a wonderful tune!
It's by a gen'man friend of mine.
Goodness me it's all the candy, Lord I hope they play that dandy
Tune all the time.


Verse 1B: 
Tease up to me, ease up to me, lovey,
Squeeze up to me, freeze up to me, dovey,
My goodness man, you never can lose me,
Not when I hear that strain, Lordy don't believe it;
Keep steppin' Bill, don't stop until I do.
Stick to it, Kid, you always did try to
Set me a reeling, Lord what a feeling,
Oh, that Pine Apple Rag.

Verse 1C: 
Hear me sigh, hear me cry, for that Pine Apple Rag.
What a dream, it sure does seem like Heaven when we drag.
Soulful eyes, hypnotize, you are wonderful wise,
You idolize me, so please surprise me by doing that Pine Apple rag.

Verse 2A: 
Some people rave about Wagnerian airs,
Some say the Spring Song is divine,
Talk like that is out of season, What I like is something pleasin',
Pine Apple rag for mine.
Say honey, listen how that band syncopates,
Oh my, by isn't it sublime.
Lordy, I could die a-dancing, If they'd play us that entrancing
Tune all the time.


Verse 2B: 
Cling to me, oh, sing to me, oh dearest,
Don't hurry so, don't worry so, hearest
That teasing rag, that squeezing rag, Lordy,
How I do love that drag, it's so fascinating;
Come, honey love, my money love, slide me;
Come syncopate, don't hesitate, glide me.
Say you're a daisy, I'm going crazy,
Oh, that Pine Apple Rag.

Verse 2C: 
Hear me sigh, hear me cry, for that Pine Apple Rag.
What a dream, it sure does seem like Heaven when we drag.
Soulful eyes, hypnotize, you are wonderful wise,
You idolize me, so please surprise me by doing that Pine Apple rag.


TESTING SCHEDULE DAY: 6TH and 7TH GRADES ONLY
GENERAL MUSIC
01. VIOLIN PARTS
.......a.  REVIEW OF VIOLIN PARTS
02.  VIOLIN LEFT HOLD and THE ROLE SHOULDER RESTS PLAY IN HOLDING THE VIOLIN
.........a.  STUDENTS EXPERIENCED WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO HOLD A VIOLIN WITH and WITHOUT
              A SHOULDER REST
.........b.  STUDENTS WERE SHOWN HOW TO PUT A SHOULDER REST ON A VIOLIN and HOW TO
              ADJUST IT
.........c.  STUDENTS ASSIGNED VIOLINS TO USE and AFTER LEARNING HOW TO TAKE CARE OF 
              THE INSTRUMENT PROPERLY STUDENTS TOOK OUT THE INSTRUEMENTS AND PUT ON
              and ADJUSTED THEIR OWN SHOULDER RESTS and THEN PRACTICED HOW TO HOLD
              THE INSTRUMENT AT THEIR JAW WITHOUT THE HAND

ADV. STRINGS
TESTING SCHEDULE DAY:  7TH GRADERS ONLY TODAY
SPRING CONCERT (THURSDAY; MAY 30TH) PREPARATION
JUNE 5th 5:00 PM (4:30 CALL TIME) DEDICATION FOR PATRICK'S GARDEN 
VOLUNTARY PARTICIPATION TO PLAY "STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN"
01.  ORANGEBLOSSOM SPECIAL
02.  LOS MACHETES
03.  CABALITO

BEG. STRINGS
TESTING SCHEDULE DAY:  6TH and 7TH GRADERS ONLY TODAY
SPRING CONCERT (THURSDAY; MAY 30TH) PREPARATION]
01.  SOMEBODY I USED TO KNOW
02.  WHAT MAKES YOU BEAUTIFUL
03.  MY HEART GOES ON
04.  YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND IN ME