GENERAL MUSIC CLASS INFORMATION SHEET
INSTRUCTOR: MISS JACOBSON
OVERVIEW OF CLASS
This year long class is designed as an introduction to music through the playing of instruments: piano, recorder, violin, guitar, and percussion.
01. To learn about note/rhythm reading and other elements of music
02. To gain knowledge of the history of music
03. To be exposed to different genres: musical theatre, classical , folk, and popular music styles
04. To understand basic music terminology
05. To develop listening and focusing skills
06. To work and behave cooperatively in a structured group format
07. To be able to connect music to other subject disciplines such as history, literature, math, and science
a. No one stops a student from learning.
b. No one stops the teacher from teaching.
c. The classroom must be a safe and respectable learning environment.
d. School rules are to be followed at all times.
a. Verbal warning
b. Parent contact
c. School discipline rules
03. ADDED WRITTEN WORK ASSIGNMENTS:
a. Use of these assignments will replace points lost by non-participation in the instrument playing activities
b. Maybe assigned to students who are unable to play instruments due to medical issues
c. Will be assigned to students with behavioral issues
d. Can be used to earn extra credit or make-up points toward the final grade
01. CLASSROOM SUPPLIES:
a. Pencils, pencil sharpeners, paper, and other instructional materials will be supplied for each student.
b. These materials are intended for proper classroom use and not to be used for any other purpose.
c. These supplies are to remain in class at all times and not taken out of the classroom without the teacher’s permission.
02. MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS:
a. All instruments will be supplied for students to use for free.
b. These instruments to be used in class either belong to the school or are supplied at the teacher’s personal expense.
c. Rules and procedures for the use of the instruments will be taught and followed at all times.
d. Deliberate misuse of the instruments will not be tolerated.
e. All instruments are to remain in the classroom and never taken home with the exception of instruments loaned out with parent –signed permission forms.
f. Students will not be held accountable for the general maintenance of the instruments.
g. Personal Instruments:
01. No personal instruments are required to be supplied by parents.
02. Any personal instruments are brought to school at the student’s own risk.
03. These instruments should not be taken to school without parent permission.
04. Instruments should have proper identification on them.
05. Given allowable space, instruments may be stored in the music classroom during the school day and picked-up after school.
03. PERSONAL BELONGINGS:
a. All personal belongings (backpacks, books, etc.) will be placed at the back of the room upon entering class.
b. General classroom space will be taken up by the use of the instruments so personal belongings, possibly left in walk paths, could create accidents or cause breakage to the instruments.
04. BATHROOM, WATER, NURSE:
a. To keep the classroom a safe environment in which to work, there will be no unnecessary leaving of seats without permission during class instructional time.
b. Students with signed-parent permission notes will be exempt from this rule.
c. Students with emergency needs will be sent to the nurse with a note which will be returned (signed by the nurse) to the teacher upon returning to class.
d. Use of bathroom facilities follow procedures set down by the school (sign-out sheets posted by the door and bathroom pass are to be used).
05. CLASSROOM TEMPERATURE:
a. Due to wooden instruments that are affected by climate, the classroom temperature is kept deliberately on the cooler side.
b. Students need to dress for class accordingly.
c. If needed, any student may bring to class an old sweater, sweatshirt, etc. to store in class permanently to use.
06. ASKING QUESTIONS:
a. Classroom/Topic Related
01. Students are to raise hands and wait to be called upon to ask questions.
02. Questions should be related to the topic being discussed.
03. “What-if” type questions used deliberately to waste time in class should be avoided.
04. The teacher will be available most lunch periods and after school hours to meet with students who want further explanations or extra instruction.
01. Personal questions are those related to a student’s personal grade, missing class work, etc.
02. Personal questions should be asked during non-instructional time, preferably after class hours.
01. Point Percentage Grading for Both Academics and Work Habits:
02. All points need to be made up if absent except “Participation” points
03. Ask teacher after class hours for missed and/or make-up work
04. Daily Participation: 1 point
a. Student participates in the group activity cooperatively
b. Student tries to follow proper procedures as taught by the teacher
c. Point taken away as a poor choice behavior consequence
d. This point does not need to made up if absent
05. Daily Quote (starting activity): 1 point
a. Students copy quote and write their own interpretation of the meaning
b. Short classroom discussion to help formulate answer
c. This activity done while listening to classical music of different composers
06. Composer Reports: points to be announced
a. 1 point for each completed page, 2 points for the personal reflection
b. Reports done in class with teacher guidance
c. Report based on a classical composer’s music listened in class during the quote activity
07. Tests and/or Quizzes: points to be announced
08. Theory Worksheets: 1 point per page (unless otherwise specified)
a. Theory work consists of note reading, rhythmic counting, musical form analysis, terminology, etc.
b. All worksheets to be discussed and worked on together in class
09. Musical Theatre (Opera) Notes/Reports/Quizzes: points to be announced.
a. Notes taken in class with teacher guidance
b. Students introduced to a famous musical (or opera)
c. Students watch, take notes, and discuss sections of the musical each week
d. Report and/or quiz at conclusion
10. Other assignments (instructional documentaries, demonstrations, etc.) to be announced.
SPECIAL NOTE ON GRADING
EVERY STUDENT SHOULD RECEIVE THE GRADE THEY WANT BECAUSE ALL POINTS CAN BE MADE UP.
EXAMPLES OF HOW TO MAKE UP MISSING POINTS:
01. RETAKING OR REDOING QUIZZES, TESTS, AND/OR ASSIGNMENTS UNTIL THE DESIRED POINTS RESULT
02. DOING MISSING ASSIGNMENTS
03. FINISHING INCOMPLETE WORK
04. USING MUTUALLY AGREED UPON (ARRANGED WITH THE TEACHER) REPLACEMENT ASSIGNMENTS
05. EXTRA CREDIT ARRANGED WITH THE TEACHER
(UP UNTIL ONE WEEK BEFORE EACH FORMAL GRADING PERIOD ANY MISSING POINTS CAN BE MADE UP)
01. This class will be taught in sections
02. There will be different days for different activities
03. Schedules may be altered as to specific instructional needs or holiday interruptions
ADDED INFORMATION ON RECORDERS
01. RECORDERS WILL BE SUPPLIED BY THE SCHOOL
02. EACH STUDENT WILL BE GIVEN A SOPRANO RECORDER.
03. SOME RECORDERS ARE NEW, OTHERS USED BUT CLEAN AND SANITIZED.
04. NO STUDENT WILL EVER SHARE RECORDERS WITH ANYONE ELSE.
05. STUDENTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO SUPPLY A LARGE ZIP-LOCK TYPE PLASTIC BAG TO KEEP THEIR RECORDER STORED IN WHEN NOT IN USE. THIS BAG IS TO BE REPLACED IF IT GETS TORN OR DIRTY.
06. RECORDERS WILL HAVE IDENTIFICATION LABELS PLACED AND KEPT ON THEM AT ALL TIMES
07. SCHOOL RECORDERS WILL REMAIN IN CLASS FOR SAFE STORAGE
08. ANYONE WHO WISHES TO HAVE THEIR OWN SOPRANO RECORDER INSTEAD OF USING THE ONE SUPPLIED BY THE SCHOOL WILL BE ALLOWED TO AS LONG AS THE RECORDER IS SIMILAR (IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THE EXACT BRAND) TO THE INSTRUMENT WE ARE USING IN CLASS AND HAS A STUDENT IDENTIFICATION LABEL ON IT.
Please have the following tear-off signed and returned to the teacher acknowledging that this document has been read and understood. I am looking forward to having a wonderful year!
I have read over this music information with my child and understand its content.
Student Name: ___________________________________________________
Parent Signature: __________________________________________________
Parent Contact Information: ______________________________