COMPOSER: CHOPIN/Waltz in C# Minor Opus 64-2
OBJECTIVE: Rules and Procedures
1. Pink quote sheets passed out and students write names on them and prepare to copy quote from overhead projector. After copying quote and author's name students are to write what they think the quote means in the space provided. If unsure, there will be a short discussion and others in the class will give their ideas and the teacher will give hers. Students may write their own response or use one of the others discussed in class/first 5 minutes
.....a. Each quote worth 1 point. This week points earned will be for extra credit as we are new at doing them. Next week the points will count toward the grade.
.....b. Quotes will be posted on this BLOG so if any are missed they can be made-up
.....c. Author of the quote today: John Cage; a famous modern composer known for his experimental music (like the "prepared piano").
2. Solfege Roll: Teacher asks with hand signals: Sol-Mi-Sol-Sol-Mi ("Mar-y are you here?")/Student answers with hand signals: Sol-Mi-Sol-Mi ("Yes I am").
3. If time: "Jorge the Gila Monster" solfege movement exercise
4. "Beat Goes On" music graph
.....a. Using posted graph and recorded music, everyone counts the colored squares while they perform different types of BP (body percussion) for the different graph colored squares (purple: snap/pink:heartbeat/ blue:head tap/ green: patsch).
.....b. After performing, students view chart and examine the "form" (beginning: introduction/middle/end: coda). The "form" is like a sandwich (beginning and end are the bread; the pink, blue, and green melodic ideas are like ham
cheese, and mustard)
.....c. What other things have form?
.....d. After looking at the graph, look carefully at the numbers of beats (1 square=1 beat) in each pattern (or graph color). .........1)Is there a mathematical pattern? MUSIC IS MATH
5. Do not forget to turn in signed rule sheets: worth 1 point
TUNEABLE HAND DRUM
BEGINNING VIOLIN PERIOD 5:
OBJECTIVE: TECHNIQUE THROUGH ROTE SONGS
2. SONG: HOEDOWN
3. SONG: 21 GUNS
ADVANCED VIOLIN PERIOD 4:
OBJECTIVE: Preparation for SPRING CONCERT
2. SONG: NUMB
.....a. All play the harmony part
...........1)Work for 4th finger intonation
...........2)Worked on "road sign" directions
3. SONG: BOULEVARD OF BROKEN DREAMS
4. SONG: 21 GUNS
LAST SEMESTER'S VIOLIN CLASSES: NEED TO GET PERMISSION SLIPS BACK FOR FIELD TRIP TO THE DISNEY HALL CONCERT IN DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES SCHEDULED FOR FEBRUARY 24th!